- BBC News - Wrist sensor may be better measure of blood pressure http://t.co/l1jrGzKaaT
- RT @ : Exciting times at @ - http://t.co/5duJNOyHv9. Stem cell breakthrough! #globalhealth #stemcells RT
- RT @ : Stem cell study could aid quest to combat range of diseases http://t.co/LUDUL33I9c
- RT @ : RT @ : Glasgow-based clinical research firm @ opens office in Turkey #ScottishExports http://t.co/33x…
- BBC News - Immune training MS trial 'safe' http://t.co/PTmyEQCpYU
- Cancer drug trial showed 'impressive' responses | Herald Scotland http://t.co/poRo6sVcID via @
- Cell Analysis Workshop 2013 - July 2013. http://t.co/nczxDo8FX6
- Scottish scientists hopeful of malaria vaccine breakthrough | Herald Scotland http://t.co/Emm2X1X3qx via @
- Biowebspin | Health Science Scotland | Extended Profiles http://t.co/mMaqDaijLR via @
- Check out "Translation into the clinical environment – a SUPA INSPIRE / Health Science..." http://t.co/X4JR8plW2r via @
- RT @ : Scotland gets go-ahead to develop synthetic human blood with potential for clinical trials http://t.co/qZmlSxpf0f #stemcell…
- BBC News - Leg wraps raise hopes of saved lives after strokes http://t.co/ja2Zy055Im
- SULSA RESEARCH SYMPOSIUM: The New Genomics: Knowledge,... -- http://t.co/fqiDCBLmF3
- Scots scientists to trial synthetic human blood - Health - http://t.co/ss8qL7GgxR: http://t.co/Z0D2c5JXnf
Warning: file_get_contents(https://api.twitter.com/1/statuses/user_timeline.json?exclude_replies=1&include_rts=&screen_name=healthsciscot&count=15) [function.file-get-contents]: failed to open stream: HTTP request failed! HTTP/1.0 410 Gone in /home/hssmtcse/public_html/twitter_feed.php on line 11
Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in /home/hssmtcse/public_html/twitter_feed.php on line 13
Biorepositories / Tissue
Scotland has a national system of tissue banks which facilitates the routine or bespoke collection of common and rare tissues. A number of collections in the bank are from very larger clinical trials such as WOSCOPS, PROSPER, Generation Scotland and are accessed regularly to explore the potential utility of new biomarkers.
The availability of this stored material together with, in some cases, 20 years of follow up electronic medical records is a fast and efficient way of assessing how well novel biomarkers predict incident of disease.
Special collections of particular strategic value are curated including brain banks, samples from diabetics, hyperlipidemics, pregnancy cohorts, the elderly and site specific cancer biobanks such as the Breast Cancer national Tissue Bank for the UK and Eire. A specialist brain tissue bank opened in 2011 in Glasgow.
In some health boards, generic consent is obtained routinely from all patients to store surplus tissue from operations and to supply this material to partners together with appropriate (de-identified) medical history.
Generation Scotland is a ground breaking genetic health initiative to assess genetic predisposition to heart disease, diabetes, stroke, osteoporosis and mental health. It links de-identified information on individuals and their close relatives with information on their lifestyle and healthcare history.
There are also companies in Scotland who undertake specialist services in this area including Tissue Solutions Scotland.